And then it's here... I remember watching the movie '13 going on 30' and wondering what the hell was wrong with that girl. Why in the world would you wish to be 30? What's so fab about it? If I were her, I would have gone for 25. Too old to be considered a rookie, but still well in your twenties. Don't get me wrong, I don't think 30 is old. But I loved my twenties. Since there is still no way to stop time it was inevitable that the big 3-0 would come for me one day. And now, ladies and gents, the day is here. To mentally prepare myself (which I have been doing for the last two years) I spoke to several fabulous thirty somethings and for many, it is a special moment. The moment when you look back at your life to see how you've done so far. To see if you reached all the goals you set for yourself in the past. Let's go over the cliché ones:
1. Own my own house - Check. At 21.
2. Get a steady job. Check. At 21.
3. Get married - Check. At 23.
4. Start a family - Check. At 24 (although we would love to add more to the fam :))
Considering these, I guess things look pretty good. But to be really honest, what will I gain from looking back? I'm happy with my life right now and I do consider myself a very lucky girl to be where I am today. But let's just think ahead. I feel I still have so much to learn, in the decade(s) to come. Some things I would love to do more/less:
1. Travel more - The world is such a beautiful place, I need to see lots and lots more of it!
2. Stress less - This is something I've been practising for a while now. I'm the type of person that stresses about literally everything and it never got me anywhere.
3. Be more active - Not necessarily to lose weight but to think of the fact that I have a body that is capable to move around, which some people don't have, and to do so while I still can. I know there are still a lot of miles to run on this meter but wouldn't that suck when you come to a point in life where you cannot do everything anymore and you never did when you still could? So. yeah.
4. Live in the moment - Related to the stress part. I always look ten steps ahead and think of all sorts of scenarios in order to be able to manage them. That can turn very negative very quickly, which causes more stress and worry.
And NOW I get it! I get to start a life with a new attitude, all based on things I learned from experiences in my 'roaring twenties'. I can leave all the insecurities behind, the worries of what others might think of me. I am not ashamed to admit I was wrong. At this point, I'm actually looking forward to start a new decade in my life, which will hopefully bring me new, wonderful things. First up is my lifelong dream trip to NYC next Friday (be sure to add me on snapchat (supersizemyfash) to join in on the fun!). And just like that, everything makes sense again.
A thirty, flirty and thriving Dionne xx
GET THE LOOK
FOLLOW THIS BLOG ON FACEBOOK||TWITTER||INSTAGRAM||YOUTUBE||BLOGLOVIN||PINTEREST